Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I need a hobby

It make shock you to learn that I have a great deal of time on my hands. This will shock you because, as J so kindly pointed out to me today, I've been pretty bad about posting lately. I blame the llamas.

For those of you "out of the know," llamas are those pesky little dramas that creep up on you from time to time. Or more frequently, depending on how "lucky" you are. I am currently very "lucky." I'm officially one Book short of a full bookcase. And so I've found myself....well, vacuuming the ceilings, really.

Don't worry, I've already staged an intervention with myself.

"Self!" I said. "Look here! Stop vacuuming. PUT THE DUSTER DOWN. Your place is already spotless, and scientists have proven that children who live in dirtier homes are healthier overall. Yes, yes, I know you're not a child. Yes, I know they were talking about pets, but--I! SAID! STOP! Ahem. Now that I've gotten your attention...don't you think it's time to find something else to do with your time? Something new and exciting?"

You see, I can be very stern with myself when it's warranted.

But what will I do with my time? What new obsession awaits me? What is there for me to discover? I have some thoughts. I can:
  1. read the encyclopedia
  2. become a correspondent on the Daily Show
  3. learn how to become a trapeze artist
  4. volunteer at the local library and pretend I'm a librarian
  5. take up ballroom dancing
  6. finally take one of those ITT Tech courses that have been advertised on TV since I was a Wee Bibliophile
  7. make the state's largest tin foil ball
  8. create my own new book award
  9. become an amazon.com Top 25 reviewer
And...And....I need suggestions, but please stay away from things like "knitting" or "running." And anything you suggest should be a relatively inexpensive activity. If you actually suggest something that I take up, you'll have done a very good deed.

3 comments:

LibraryChristi said...

Personally I like 2, 3, 4 and 7 :)

Let's see...you could also bake. Or take a cooking class. Hey! Check out the classes at Newton Community Education - you could take something you've been wanting to learn.

You could start an indoor herb garden.

Quilting?
Stained glass making?
Photography? (I'd go on excursions with you!)
Organizing my house?

Anonymous said...

I was going to say knitting while running, but apparently you don't want to hear that. I would recommend volunteering somewhere - what about Angell Memorial? What happened to getting a kitten - kittens definitely aren't hobbies, but they are fun to have around!

Anonymous said...

if you actually want to learn to be a trapeze artist, i can totally hook you up. i'm serious. i think lessons are monday evenings...

:)