Sunday, May 6, 2007

"My book report" or, "how a book group can save you loads of money."

A little over 6 months ago, E and I started a book group. Yes, we decided that the two of us could be considered a "group." A book "couple" just didn't seem right, and in any case, three months later C joined. We take turns choosing books and hosting monthly meetings, but spend way more time eating than discussing our book of the month.

C chose this month's book, The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean. The plot on a shoe-string: Symone is a fourteen year old girl obsessed with Antarctica. Her mentally unstable uncle is equally obsessed, but for reasons she only discovers when he takes her there on a surprise trip. The best, most riveting part of the story details their journey towards the center of the continent. Without giving away any more of the plot, McCaughrean does a wonderful job using the geography and the dangers of Antarctica to her advantage.

I loved the book and was completely drawn into the story and into Symone's character. However, McCaughrean's mind-boggling description of her trek was enough to make me want to curl up in my bed with a nice, warm blanket and enjoy Antarctica the way it was intended: BBC nature videos. Who knew a $13 Amazon.com purchase could cure me (likely only temporarily) of any desire to visit Antarctica, thus saving me at least $15,000 in the process?


For your reading pleasure, here is a list of all prior books the group has read:
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Lisa See
The History of Love, Nicole Krauss
The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards
The Princess Bride, William Goldman
The Talented Mr. Ripley, Patricia Highsmith
Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot..., Particia C. Wrede
Julie and Julia, Julie Powell
Suite Francaise, Irene Nemirovsky


What I'm reading now:

1 comment:

LibraryChristi said...

While the adventurer in me would love to visit Antarctica, I know I'll probably never go. I have to wear mittens when the temp gets below 40F here! What would I do in -30F temperatures?!